Autumn Pear + Ginger Jam with Cinnamon | The Common Creative: Autumn Pear + Ginger Jam with Cinnamon

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Autumn Pear + Ginger Jam with Cinnamon

I've finally embraced all things autumn just in time for everything to change to holiday mode...but our house has been filled with spicy scents and warm food. And I may be a bit late on the preserve season, but I've been making big batches of anything and everything lately. I don't generally can things (yet), but when I do have a bigger-than-a-postage-stamp kitchen, I plan to. Until then, I'm ok to stick to freezer preserves and this is a great jam to can or throw into the freezer for later.
Now, I don't know if this was all that much cheaper than buying a jar of jam in the store, but I'm sure it could be if you put effort into finding a good price on pears. I happen to live down the road from a Safeway and don't often have a car to drive elsewhere, so sometimes buying expensive is my only choice! I'm ok with that, though, because this was tastier than any pre-canned item I could have bought. In fact, I may have eaten a little by the spoonful. So warm, so spicy, so sweet, so delicious. 
Autumn Pear + Ginger Jam
with Cinnamon
adapted slightly from A Baker's House

3 lbs pears, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 8-10)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup brown or golden sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large pot or crockpot combine the pears, ginger, sugar lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the jam for 15-20 minutes until thickened (If using a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours). Mash with potato masher or puree with immersion blender for a smoother texture. If the mixture looks thin, keep in mind that it will thicken upon cooling. 

Using a ladle, spoon into 3 small jars leaving 1/4"head room, cover and place in the freezer. (Or eat a jar by the spoonful!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...